1 July 2013

Blueberry & Almond porridge

When I was a kid, my mum always made porridge for Saturday or Sunday mornings and I remember very clearly that when I moved out nearly 6 years ago I told myself that there will be no more porridge for breakfasts. And so a couple of years passed and the next thing I knew was that I had porridge for nearly every morning... I guess there is some truth in the saying that mothers know the best.

Until recently I used the quick instant oat porridges that came with different flavours or used the neutral one to have with home made strawberry or apple and raspberry jam. Nothing warms you up and fills you up at the same time for hours on those cold winter mornings than a nice bowl of hearty porridge. As I'm trying to make tiny changes for a healthier and cleaner lifestyle I bought I nice big bag of rolled oats and left the instant porridges with added flavourings on the shelf. Instead, I mixed in some almonds and blueberries to make a delicious and healthy breakfast.

I know that making porridge isn't really a recipe as such, but it is a great way to start the day and is easily customised to satisfy even the pickiest eaters - choice of toppings is endless - drizzle yours with some honey, add coconut, different berries, dried fruit or raisins ... I could go on and on about what you could have your porridge with, but whatever you choose porridge makes a lovely filling breakfast that is good for you and guaranteed to keep you going without cravings until lunch.


Ingredients
(Serves 1)
- 225ml water
- 35g rolled oats
- 2 tsp almonds
- Handful of blueberries

Directions
Boil the oats in water (or if you prefer creamier porridge then half water and half milk) for around 15 minutes. Whilst the oats are boiling, wash and dry the blueberries.

When the porridge is done, stir in the almonds, place the porridge in a nice bowl and top it off with few blueberries. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment