22 July 2013

Quick chicken stir-fry

I've got a couple of announcements to make before I turn to todays blog post. Firstly, I had my graduation last Thursday and as of then I'm officially Master of Laws and it feels so good to finally know that all the hard work down here in Singapore has paid off properly. Secondly, because of that I did a fair bit of travelling over the last two weeks as I my sister came down here so unfortunately I've been unable to make any posts. And lastly, I think I should just give you guys a small heads-up with regards to my upcoming 10-day trip to Vietnam in the beginning of August where once again I will not be able to post anything. Looking on the bright side, we're doing a half-day cooking course whilst we're there so hopefully I can share some of the Vietnamese dishes with you after I'm back. But enough about the announcements ....

Stir-frys have a sort of sentimental value for me. When we lived back in the UK and went down to the countryside my fiancé always made us a nice stir-fry for dinner. It was like an unwritten rule. After we moved to Singapore we carried on having stir-frys every now and then for two very simple reasons - they're quick to make and healthy. And on the plus side the ingredients here are quite a bit cheaper than back home. What I personally love about stir-frys is that you can modify them to fit all tastes as you can put in almost anything. Also, it is one of the easiest ways to ensure that you eat your 5-a-day. Just pick up a nice bunch of vegetables, all in different colours, and prepare yourself a filling rainbow coloured dish and you're all set of for the day.

I served this stir-fry with boiled white rice, but there are so many nice noodles out there that would go so well with chicken and vegetables. So try out different flavours and experiment until you find something that you really like. Usually we mix the rice or noodles into the stir-fry whilst it is in the wok, but this time for photo purposes I served them side by side. This again is just a matter of preference and doesn't really change the taste - only the way it looks. The only key to making stir fries is to have all the ingredients chopped up a ready, because once you start cooking it is just a matter of minutes until you need everything and the dish is ready.

Ingredients

(Serves 3)
- 200ml rice
- 500ml water
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 100g baby corn
- 75g silver sprouts
- 200g bok choy
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 75g snow peas
- 1 clove of garlic
- Soya sauce

Directions
Firstly boil the rice. Place the rice in a pot, add the water and season with some salt. Bring the water to boil and then turn down the heat, place the lid on the pot and let it boil for 15 minutes.

In the meantime chop up all the ingredients. Heat up some oil in the wok, crush in the garlic and fry the chicken. When the chicken is almost done, add the rest of the ingredients and stir fry until the vegetables have wilted. Finally, add the soya sauce and let it reduce down a bit. Now, if you want mix the rice into the stir fry or put the rice on a plate and top it off with the stir fried chicken and vegetables. Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Very gorgeous recipe! Actually, Me and my friend tried to cook this yesterday and it's very tasty! I would try this again for my family so that they can also eat this delicious dish. Thanks for sharing this!

    Easy Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete