9 July 2012

Classic cheesecake

Cheesecakes are one of my favourite cakes and over the years this one has become the one which I bake for every occasion and which always finishes first. I've made this covered in chocolate or decorated with different berries and every single time it has come out absolutely amazing. However, I think that it is the best when just served with some physalises - their distinct taste and slight sourness complement the smooth texture and sweetness of the cake just right.

Whenever I make this cake I always remember one of my dear friends, who told me that if I ever set up my own cafe or bakery, he would make sure that I won't go out of business as long as this cake was available. This really sums up all I can say about the cake ... apart from the fact that I could finish one off just by myself without a problem. One of my all time favourites - it has been that since the first time I made it and will most definitely be on the list for many-many years to come.

Ingredients
(Serves 12)
Base:
- 2 eggs
- 0.75 dl flour
- 0.75 dl sugar
- 50g butter, melted

Filling:
- 2.5 dl sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 800g Philadelphia cream cheese (2 full fat, 2 medium fat ones)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 3 dl cream

- Handful of physalises, to decorate (or any other fruit, chocolate etc)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 200C. For the base, place sugar and eggs in a bowl and place the bowl over hot water and whisk until the mixture is fluffy. Let it cool down, sieve in the flour and add the melted butter and mix well. Line a 24cm spring form cake tin with baking parchment and pour the base into the tin. Bake for 15 minutes.

For the filling, mix flour and sugar in a bowl. Add Philadelphia cheese and whip until mixed well. Then add eggs, vanilla sugar and cream. Make sure the filling is smooth, without any clumps and mixed well. Pour the mixture on the base and cover with aluminium foil. Bake at 175C for around 1 hour and 5 minutes. Before taking the cake out, check that it is ready - it is not supposed to be liquid in the middle.

Let it cool down and then place on a plate. Chill the cake before serving (preferably overnight in the fridge) and decorate it either after putting on a plate or right before serving.

This cake lasts few days and as usually for cheesecakes only gets better with time - but usually there is none left for the day after so I can't really verify that.

Recipe from a book "Juustukoogid"


No comments:

Post a Comment