4 August 2012

Spicy prawn & pineapple curry

I have finally managed to settle in and I'm slowly getting used to the time difference - 7 hours is quite a something to get used to. This is my last weekend before university starts here in Singapore and therefore I decided to use this little time I have productively and try out a new recipe. I admit I was a bit lazy and did not make the curry paste from scratch, but as it was my first curry every I thought that I'd leave making my own paste for the next time.

The red curry paste I used was very spicy on its own and therefore I did not need to add chillies, but if you're using a mild paste or prefer you curry really spicy feel free to add some chopped chillies when adding the lemongrass and the lime leaves. It is very quick to make - the cooking process takes just around 15 minutes - and therefore is perfect for a warming mid-week meal. I just love the addition of pineapple to curries, because it sweetens the taste and when the curry is spicy it helps to "cool" it down and actually allows you to enjoy the dish without feeling constant burning sensation in your mouth. Overall it was a flavourful and filling dish that I am likely to make again (but using a bit milder curry paste).


Ingredients
(serves 4)
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp palm sugar (or soft brown sugar)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1/2 small pineapple, peeled and chopped
- 5 dried kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 300g peeled raw tiger prawns

Directions
Before starting cooking, prepare all the ingredients. Peel and devein the prawns and peel and chop up the pineapple.

Heat the oil and add the curry paste. Fry for around 2 minutes, then add the sugar and turmeric and stir well. Add the fish sauce, coconut milk and pineapple chunks and bring to boil. Then add lime leaves and lemongrass and simmer for around 5 minutes. Finally add the tiger prawns and simmer for further 5 minutes or until the prawns change colour.

Serve with boiled jasmine rice and warm naan bread

Recipe from BBC Good Food

No comments:

Post a Comment