2 September 2012

Honey & sesame prawns on bok choy

I do have to admit that most of my days here I have fruit and salad (and take aways from local hawker centres) and do not cook 'real' food as such. Mainly because I don't have time, but also because the choice of dishes in Singapore is incredible - I could have absolutely anything I wanted. And so far all the food I've tried has been delicious. Being inspired by the food that I've eaten over the past few weeks I tried to make an Asian meal myself. I still haven't overcome my fascination of fresh king prawns (and how affordable they are in this part of the world) and therefore once again I have included them.

This dish is incredibly easy to make and probably the most time consuming part is peeling the prawns (obviously you could buy ready peeled ones) and the marinating. But if those are out of the way, it just takes few minutes to put together this tasty and relatively light dish. I had it as a light lunch, but it could easily be serves as one of many side dishes to a dinner or as a starter at a dinner party - it looks very impressive and sophisticated when arranged properly.

Ingredients
(Serves 1)
- 10 king prawns, peeled
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1/2 lime rind
- 1/2 lime juice
- 4 small bok choy heads
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- sesame oil, to fry

Directions
Firstly, peel the king prawns. Then mix fish sauce, honey, kecap manis, lime rind and lime juice in a small bowl. Add the prawns to the marinade mixture, coat with cling film and set aside for 30minutes or so.

Them, cut of the bottom pit of bok choy so you have separate stems with leaves and set aside. Heat a wok pan and when it is hot add the sesame seeds. Cook them for 1-2 minutes until golden. If they are ready, remove and set them aside.

Heat some sesame seed oil in the same work and stir fry the bok choy for around 4 minutes. When they are ready, place them on a plate.

To cook the prawns, remove them from the marinade (but don't throw it away), heat some more oil in the wok and cook the prawns on both sides until golden. If the prawns are ready add the marinade and cook until it reduces slightly. Finally, place the prawns on bok choy, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

Recipe from taste.com.au

 

No comments:

Post a Comment