1 January 2013

Penne Bolognese

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for neglecting my blog for such a long time, but I've been so incredibly busy over my Christmas holidays that I even haven't had time to catch up with sleep. And secondly, before turning to the first post of the year, I'd like to wish all of you my dear readers a happy new year!

As bolognese is one of my favourite pasta sauces I decided to kickstart the new year with that. It is one of those recipes that at first might seem like a bit too much work, but actually it is so easy to make. The only thing with bolognese (and with most other stews) is that the longer you cook them the tastier they are. This sauce can be easily made ready in 50 minutes, but I usually try to cook mine for around 3 hours. What I tend to do is that I put it on around lunchtime and then leave it to simmer while I either tidy the flat or study or do something at home and then eat it for dinner. And whenever I make it at home I make a huge batch and then divide it up and freeze it so I could have it whenever I get my pasta cravings. Another thing to note is that the sauce will be as good as the ingredients are that you put in it - make sure it is quality beef as it makes a huge difference in taste.

I really love that the sauce itself is so incredibly simple, but at the same time it tastes so delicious. Serve it with al dente pasta and freshly shaven parmesan for a delicious meal.


Ingredients
(Serves 4)
- 400g Penne (or other pasta)
- 2 tsp oil
- 100g bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g good quality minced beef
- 500g tomato puree (passata)
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt
- Pepper
- 1 tsp sugar

- Parmesan, to serve

Directions
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add chopped bacon, onion and garlic and fry for few minutes. Then add minced beef and fry for another 5 minutes. Lastly add the passata, oregano and beef stock. Bring to boil and then turn down the heat and simmer covered for 50 minutes (I usually cook mine for 3 hours) and stir it every once in a while. Before serving, season with salt, sugar and pepper.

To serve, boil the penne, place on deep plates, pour over the sauce and add a generous sprinkle of parmesan. Serve immediately

Recipe from book "Pasta"




No comments:

Post a Comment