19 February 2013

Chicken & nectarine salad

As I've told you before I'm not a huge fan of our university food and so whenever I have to spend long days there I tend to make myself a boxed lunch (or dinner). I've been trying out quite a few recipes lately (some of which have made to this blog) and this one really stood out - even my fiancé really liked it. It's very easy and quick to make and I absolutely love the lime and olive oil dressing as it adds a nice zing to the whole salad. I generally tend to eat my salads without any dressing or olive oil, but this is just divine.

Whenever people think of salads they tend to imagine a bowl of tasteless green stuff that no-one really likes, but everyone eats because it's considered good for you. Trust me, this is not one of the boring salads.It is very fresh and fruity and makes a perfect meal for those hot days when you want something light yet filling. The combination of chicken, nectarines and sour lime juice is unbelievably nice - they balance each other out and end up creating a mixture of tastes that just goes perfectly together.

It is great as a starter or a light meal or as said before - it makes a perfect boxed lunch. It stays nicely in the fridge for two days and is a perfect addition to your lunch recipes. Feel free to use normal cabbage or ice berg lettuce instead of womboks (or any other green leafy salad as long as they have a mild taste).


Ingredients
(Serves 4)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 3 womboks
- 4 nectarines
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt
- Pepper

Directions
Firstly prepare the chicken. I seasoned my chicken breasts with salt and pepper, wrapped them into foil and roasted them in the oven for 30 minutes.

In the meantime, wash and dry wombok and apricots and cut them into small strips.

When the chicken is done, let it cool for few minutes and then shred the breasts into small stripes.

Place all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix well.

Mix together the olive oil and lime juice, pour over salad, mix well and serve immediately.

PS! If making this for your lunchbox, divide the salad up between 4 boxes. Then prepare the dressing, but divide it up between 4 small boxes and pour over the salad just before serving. This way you'll avoid making the salad soggy.

Adapted from AWW "Low Fat Kitchen"




No comments:

Post a Comment