24 May 2013

Crispy Greek-style pie

One of my main source of inspiration is the BBC Good Food website (I'm sure you've noticed that already) and for the past few months I've bought the magazines as well. I have to say that some recipes appear both online and in the magazines, but there is nothing better than flicking through the glossy pages and earmarking everything I want to cook in the near future. And trust me, there are a lot of recipes I've marked so far.

As I bought the latest edition and went through it, the Feta pie just looked too good not to give it a go. So I got the ingredients and made the pie and I have to say it was just divine. Incredibly crispy on the outside and the filling just melted in my mouth - even my other half who's not big on Feta helped himself to a second serving! I also love the fact that there's no added salt in this pie as Feta is salty enough to flavour the whole pie.

It is a lovely summery dish and makes a great lunch or dinner or even a starter. Serve it with generous amounts of green salad for a healthy and quick meal that is guaranteed to leave you satisfied at the end.

Ingredients

(Serves 4)
- 200g spinach leaves
- 175g jar of sundried tomatoes in oil
- 100g Feta
- 2 eggs
- Green salad, to serve
- 125g filo pastry

Directions
Put the spinach in a large pan with 2 tbsp water and cook until just wilted. Place in in a sieve and leave to cool for a bit. Squeeze out the excess water and roughly chop the spinach and place it in the bowl. Roughly chop the tomatoes and then add to the spinach along with eggs and crumbled feta. Mix well to combine.

Preheat the oven to 160C (fan) and prepare the filo crust. Carefully unroll the filo pastry (let it thaw a bit) and cover it with damp sheets of kitchen towel to stop it from drying out. Take one sheet of pastry and brush it generously with the sundried tomato oil. Place it oily side down into a springform tin so that some of the pastry hangs out over the side. Repeat that until you have 3 layers. Spoon over the spinach mixture and pull the overhanging sides into middle, crunch them up and make sure the filling is covered (if necessary place another sheet of pastry on top before folding the edges) and brush with little more oil on top.

Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is crispy and golden brown. Remove from the tim, slice into wedges and serve with a green salad.

Recipe from BBC GoodFood Asian Edition May 2013



1 comment: