10 November 2012

Steamed wild snapper & cabbage

I just realised that instead of being a food blog with a good selection of different meals (and emphasis on the healthy note, of course), my blog has basically turned into a baking blog. Fortunately, it is not too late to fix this and from now on I will try to emphasise the main courses and salads and soups a lot more than I do baking (or I'll at least try to balance them out). So, after so many cakes and muffins, I decided to get myself together and start preparing healthy meals again. I've already made a quite impressive list of all the meals I will prepare so I'm sure that I won't get off the track this time (but no need to worry - I'll still post something sweet every once in a while).

And on that healthy note the first dish in this pursuit for more healthy food is the steamed wild snapper with cabbage. Ever since trying out steaming I've loved it. It is healthy and incredibly quick way to cook things. However, up until now I've only steamed vegetables and mainly salmon and thus I decided to try out some other fish. I was a bit sceptical at first as this recipe seemed too simple to be good, but it came out delicious. The tender fish with the crispy garlic bits and little chilli result in a very tastebud tingling combination - even my other half said it was amazing. Therefore it must be good and it's not just me going that it tastes great, for a healthy dish. Takes just 15minutes to make and you end up with a healthy, filling and incredibly flavourful meal.

Ingredients
(Serves 2)
- 2 wild snapper (or other white fish) fillets
- 1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 300g green cabbages, finely shredded
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chopped chillies
- 2 tsp soy sauce

Directions
Shred the cabbage and place on a steamer and steam for 5 minutes. In the meanwhile prepare the fish by sprinkling it with chopped chilli, ginger and a bit of salt. Place on top of the cabbage and steam for 5 further minutes until cooked through.

Meanwhile, slice the garlic thinly and heat the oils in a small pan. Add the garlic and cook stirring until the garlic is lightly browned.

To serve, transfer the cabbage to serving plates, place the fish on top of it and top each fish off with 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and the garlicky oil. Serve immediately.

Recipe from BBC Good Food




No comments:

Post a Comment