31 August 2013

Simple Feta salad

I know it's almost September and kids in most countries have started or will shortly start school again and that kind of me has always meant that the summer is over and autumn has begun. However, as I still have my last 3 weeks off I refuse to recognise the fact that the summer's over and thus it's still ok to have fresh salads and and BBQ. And so I made myself a lovely salad for lunch, keen on enjoying the last few weeks of summer.

I have to admit that this is the first time I've ever used French vinaigrette. I'm usually not big on drizzling anything on my salads as most of the salads that I've tried have just been soaked in oil. However, having tried a similar salad at a barbecue a couple of days ago I just had to give it a shot at home and I have to say I was very happy with the result I achieved.

I love the fact that Feta gives the salad the nice saltiness and also it makes it more filling - let's face it, mere salad leaves and fresh vegetables won't keep anyone full for long enough. For extra goodness I added a couple of spoonfuls of different seeds and in addition to the fibre and vitamins, seeds add a lovely bit of different texture to the salad. All in all, easy to make and bound to be a crowd pleaser no matter whether served as a main or a side. Feel free to use different seeds, different salad leaves and add different veg - one of the beauties of salads is that you can modify them to suit your taste without much of an hassle.

Ingredients
(Makes 2 mains or 4 sides)
- Bag of mixed salad leaves
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 125g Feta cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2-3 tbsp French vinaigrette
- Fresh pepper, to serve

Place all the ingredients in a big bow, pour over the vinaigrette, mix well,  season with pepper and serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment