5 August 2013

Steak, roasted pepper & pearl barley salad


As most of you know I'm a huge fan of BBC Good Food and have recently discovered their magazine. I know it's more convenient to browse the recipes online, but nothing beats real magazines. I don't know what it is, but I really prefer flicking through pages to scrolling down. And its the same when it comes to books - I love the feeling of reading a real proper book rather than looking at a screen. I know it more convenient (and a lot cheaper) to have all the books and recipes in one place but I honestly can't see myself doing away with "real" books and magazines any time soon.

So, as it usually goes after I get my new copy of BBC Good Food - I flick through it wanting to try basically every other recipe in there and then kind of just forgetting about them. And then one day I was tidying home and came across the July copy and as I flicked through this recipe stood out once again. I have to admit that it was partly due to curiosity that I chose to try it as I have never cooked barley before and I really wanted to know how it tastes like and what I can do with it.

I was really happy with how the salad came out - healthy, filling and so tasty that my other half (who is not a salad person) told me that I can make it again. I guess it had something to do with the juicy steak on top of it ... It is a lovely mid-week meal and is perfect for lunch or dinner. I also think it would be perfect for a dinner party - double the quantity and voila! You have a lovely dish to share. And one of the best bits about is that it is so quick and easy to make.

Ingredients
(Serves 2)
- 85g pearl barley
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g lean steak
- 50g watercress, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions
Firstly put the pearl barley in a pan of water, bring to boil and boil for around 30 minutes or until tender. When it's done transfer it to a bowl.

While the barley is boiling, heat the oven to 200C / 180C fan. Put the peppers on a baking tray with the onions and pour over the olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes until golden brown.

Then it's time to cook the steak (make sure you take it out of the fridge approximate 1 hour before cooking). Generously season the steak with salt and pepper on both sides and rub both sides with olive oil. Heat a non-stick pan and when it's hot, cook the steaks on both sides around 3-4 minutes (or depending how well you like it done). Set the steak aside to rest for around five minutes.

In the meantime, add the roasted peppers and watercress to the pearl barley. Mix it well, mix in the lemon juice and put on a plate. Slice up the steak and place on top of the barley. Enjoy!

Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine (Asian Edition) July 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment