18 April 2012

Orange steamed sea bass

Steamer is one of those things in my kitchen that I have rarely used. My boyfriend got it for me so we could steam broccoli, but somehow I just hung it up and basically forgot about it. However, today I decided to dust it off and prepare myself a nice steamed fish dish. I've always been quite good with preparing salmon - it tastes delicious when baked in the oven, fried or steamed - but I've never been particularly good with white fish. It's either come out tasting mediocre, the sauce / seasoning has been way too overwhelming or I've managed to overcook it. Fortunately for me, it is quite hard to oversteam something and the sea bass I prepared for dinner today came out absolutely lovely. The hints of ginger and orange went so well, that I even didn't think twice about eating the fish without sauce.

In addition to being very easy and fast, as it took me around 10 minutes to prepare the meal, steaming fish (or any other food) is a very healthy way of cooking things as you don't need any oil. After today's successful experiment, I am sure that I will use the steamer a lot more.

Ingredients
(Serves 1)
- sea bass fillet, skin on
- fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 clove of garlic
- zest and juice of 1/2 orange
- coriander
- freshly ground pepper

Directions
Put the sea bass skin side down on a baking parchment and place it in the steamer. Cover with the crushed garlic and about the same amount of grated ginger, then spread over the grated zest of orange. Place the steamer on the saucepan and squeeze over the orange juice. Steam between 5 to 10 minutes until fish is ready.

Sprinkle with fresh coriander and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.

I had the fish on its own, but it could be served with rice, potatoes, mash, vegetables or salad.



1 comment:

  1. I am just the same when it come to steaming, but now, thanks to this post, I'll try to get the hang of it myself! Looks really yummy M!

    ReplyDelete