26 June 2012

Honey & pineapple prawn stir-fry

Whenever I'm travelling somewhere exotic I first of all try to eat only local food and especially use the possibility of eating fresh fruit - they taste so much better than the ones you get to buy over in the UK or anywhere else where they have been imported to. I've spent the last week in Singapore (where I will be living for a next year or so) and thought of cooking something for dinner, which wasn't western. And as my boyfriend has got me hooked on stir fries, I did not have to think for long before I knew what I was going to make. After a trip down to the local supermarket and a bag full of fresh king prawns and local pineapple I was very excited of putting together this dish.

The thing I really love about stir fries is that you can put in whatever you want (they are great for using up any leftover vegetables in the fridge) and they are really simple, healthy and fast to make, which makes them perfect for weekday dinners. This one was my first with prawns (make sure you don't overcook them) and I will most definitely be using them instead of chicken in the future. Until now, I haven't put any fruit in my stir fries but after trying out a stir fry with pineapple my imagination went flying - can't wait to do one with mango now! The dish itself is slightly on the sweet side, but if you prefer spicier food add some sambal or chopped chillies. I served it with boiled rice, but it would go well with all sort of different noodles or even just on its own (but then increase the quantities).


Ingredients
(Serves 3)
- 600g raw king prawns
- 1tsp peanut oil
- 1 medium red pepper
- 115g snow peas
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 0.5 pineapple, chopped coarsely
- 3 tsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1.5 tsp honey
- Jasmine rice, to serve
- Sambal or lazy chillies (optional)

Directions
Put the rice to boil and have it ready before making the stir fry. Chop up all the ingredients before starting. Heat the peanut oil in a wok pan and stir fry the prawns, red pepper, garlic and peas until the prawns have changed colour. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir fry until hot.

Divide the rice up between the plates and top it with the stir fry. Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment