4 June 2012

Eton mess cupcakes

I do apologise for leaving such a big gap between my last post and this - had to dedicate all my time and effort to revision. But as it is all now over (and I'm not due to start my masters for another two months) there will be plenty of summer themed recipes coming up, I promise.

As you all know, it was the Jubilee weekend and in addition to this fabulous royal event I also just finished my exams and therefore my friends and I have had plenty of reasons to celebrate. And as usual, I was taking care of the dessert. It took me quite a while to make my mind up what to make - traditional Victorian sponge cake would have be just a bit too boring. But, as I found this recipe (after hours of searching) I knew it was 'the one'. There nothing as summery and gloriously British as Eton mess - the classic dessert made up of strawberries, crushed meringue and double cream. But as usual, it was quite a lot of us and therefore the real dessert was out of question, but the cupcakes suited the occasion perfectly. And to top it off, I found the perfect cupcake cases and toppers to suit the very British occasion...

Ingredients
(Makes 12)
Cupcakes:
- 110g self-raising flour
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g butter, softened
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing:
- 120g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla sugar

- 200g strawberries
- Meringue pieces

Directions
Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases. Mix together all ingredients and divide the mixture up between 12 muffin cases. Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.

For the icing, mix together the butter and sugars. Then puree 50g strawberries and cut up the rest into small pieces. For the meringue pieces I crushed 4 bought meringue nests (but you can always make your own).

To assemble, divide the icing mixture between muffins and cover the tops evenly, then sprinkle over with crushed meringue and strawberries and to top them off, put a teaspoonful (or so) of strawberry puree on each. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment