15 April 2013

Strawberry & Greek yogurt parfait

I've been having scrambled eggs on rye bread toast for breakfast for a while and really craved something different. So yesterday when we did out grocery shopping I picked up some nice ingredients - strawberries, blueberries, bananas, Greek yogurt, honey granola - which would enable to make myself whatever I wanted for breakfast. And after giving it some though I decided to make a parfait (fancy way of describing a layered dish). I've seen so many posts of those delicious looking pots that I just had to give it a go at home.

I really love the way parfaits look like. You can combine different flavours (and colours!) to make something that is beautiful to look at, tastes divine and doesn't have a bad effect on your efforts to stay fit and healthy. I decided to just use strawberries on this one, but I'll probably try a mix of blueberries and strawberries in a next couple of days (I'll make sure I'll post it as well).

I made the parfait with Greek yogurt as opposed to normal natural yogurt as I find that it is a lot milder, less sour in taste and as that wouldn't be enough it also has a really nice rich creamy texture. Also, after some googling I found out that it's higher in protein, lower in carbs and sodium than natural yogurt and thus making a perfect ingredient to incorporate into your breakfasts. Coupled with delicious and sweet strawberries, which are rich Vitamin C, and some granola (I used Kellogg's Special K Honey and Nut as I haven't gotten around to making my own) to add some fibre and a nice crunch to the meal.

Have this for a healthy breakfast, lunch or even serve it as a dessert - fills you up, tastes delicious and the colourfulness is guaranteed to light up your mood.

Ingredients

(Serves 1)
- 100g strawberries, chopped
- 100g Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat Total)
- 20g granola

Directions
Layer the strawberries and yogurt in a glass or a bowl (I did 50g strawberries - 50g yogurt - 50g strawberries - 50 yogurt) and then top it all off with some nice granola and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment