4 April 2013

Super fast prawn noodles

After realising the fact that my time here in Singapore is coming to an end (less than 3 weeks to go until I finish my masters) I thought I should use the time left here to try out some other Asian influenced dishes. So, the other day I was flicking through my recipe collection to see whether anything caught my eye and fortunately I found this recipe. I am a huge fan of fresh king prawns and whenever I do the food shopping and see them on offer I make a mental note that I should try to use them more often. From a more personal point of view, I was looking for something on a bit lighter side as after all the BBQs and desserts and restaurant visits with parents I felt like giving my body a small break from having to digest heavy food.

So, as this recipe ticked all the boxes - Asian, light, quick to make and involves king prawns - I decided to give it a go. To be honest with you, usually when I try out a new soup, my fiancé just states that it tastes nice, but this one had a really different reaction. The moment he tried I was told that I could make this again (read: it's delicious!) and I've acted on these words and actually made it for dinner again yesterday.

After discussing various things here I feel that I should actually give some insight about the soup. Well, it's incredibly easy and quick to make and I love the combination of the various sauces and a slight hint of ginger just creates the perfect balance of different flavours. It makes a delicious and filling mid-week supper and is guaranteed to add a nice exotic touch to your day.

Ingredients
(Serves 2)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Medium piece of fresh root ginger, shredded into thing matchsticks
- 150g peeled king prawns (approx. 12 prawns)
- 2 bok choy, cut into quarters
- 100g noodles (straight to wok or soak hard noodles for few minutes before adding them in)
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced

Directions
Firstly peel and devein the king prawns. Then, bring the stock to boil in a wok or large saucepan. Stir in the different sauces and then add ginger. Simmer for a moment and then add the prawns until they've turned pink. When the prawns are ready, add the bok choy and cook for further 2 minutes until just wilted.

Finally, add all the noodles into the broth, stir to loosen the noodles and cook until they're warm. Divide the noodle soup between two bowls, scatter with spring onions and serve straight away.

Recipe from BBC Good Food


No comments:

Post a Comment