19 May 2012

Blueberry muffins

There are very few things in the life that can beat fresh home baked muffins for breakfast - they are guaranteed to make sure that the day will go well. After having three exams this week (I feel like a wreck), I decided to treat myself for a nice late breakfast, or actually, more of a brunch. When I was thinking of what to have I realised that so many muffin recipes out there require way too many ingredients that I usually don't have at home. Also, as I have a big bag of spelt flour to use up, so I really wanted a recipe using spelt flour and not requiring me to go out food shopping in the morning. However, as usual, books and websites were useless! Therefore, inspired by all the other muffin recipes I decided to improvise and the result was delicious - not too sweet and perfectly moist.

The muffins themselves are relatively healthy (well, as healthy as muffins can be) and thus a guilt free way to start a day. However, as I felt like a deserved a treat, I decided to top the muffins with a delicious cream cheese glaze. Needless to say that it was one indulgent breakfast...

Ingredients
(Serves 6 - 190cal per serving without the glaze)
For the muffins:
- 125g spelt flour (or any other flour)
- 20g sugar
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 65g butter, melted
- 125ml skimmed milk
- 150g blueberries

For the glaze:
- 70g Philadelphia cheese
- 4tbsp icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla sugar

Directions
Preheat the oven to 160C fan/ 180C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with 6 muffin cases (or grease the tin). Then melt the butter and leave it aside. Mix all the dry ingredients in the bowl, add egg, milk and butter and whisk until nice and smooth. Then stir in blueberries, leaving aside 6 to put on top of the muffins. Divide the mixture up between the 6 cases and bake 15-20 minutes until evenly brown.

While the muffins are baking, prepare the cream cheese glaze. Whip all the ingredients together in a bowl until the mixture is even and smooth.

When the muffins are ready, serve them with a tablespoonful of glaze topped with a blueberry.





No comments:

Post a Comment