16 May 2012

Salmon & Philadelphia ISO maki

Sushi is another one of my favourite foods and I have it quite often. I do have to admit, that most of the times I just pop out to the nearest Yo Sushi and stuff myself with their sushi, instead of making my own. Knowing that I had all the required essential ingredients at home - just had to buy some salmon - I decided to treat myself to some home-made sushi before my big exam tomorrow.

Salmon is one of my favourite fish and also on of my favourite sushi fillings - the first sushi I tried was with salmon and the first sushi I made myself was with salmon. I have tried various combinations (salmon and avocado; salmon, cucumber and avocado; just salmon) and undoubtedly the salmon & Philadelphia combination is the winner. Also, last spring, while back in Estonia for a bit, I discovered this amazing wasabi and sesame spice mix by Santa Maria. It gives just enough spiciness and taste to sushi, whilst not being overpowering. I have yet not seen it in the UK and unless you're lucky enough to have someone bring it over for you, I would suggest using sesame seeds on the sushi and serving the wasabi on the side instead.


Ingredients
(Makes 1 roll - 6 slices)
- 1 sheet of nori
- 85g sushi rice
- 1 tsp Japanese rice vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 50g (smoked) salmon
- 40g cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 35g Philadelphia
- Sesame seeds / Wasabi - sesame spice mix
- Soy sauce, to serve
- Pickled ginger, to serve
- Wasabi, to serve

Directions
Firstly, prepare the sushi rice. Rinse the rice and then place in a bowl, cover with cold water and let it stand for 20 minutes. Then place the rice in a pot, pour over 140ml water and bring to boil uncovered. When it starts to boil, turn down the heat and reduce it to simmer, cover and cook for around 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Then remove from pot, place on a plate and cool to room temperature. When the rice is cool enough, mix a pinch of sugar with 1 tsp of Japanese rice vinegar and mix it into the rice.

Before making the sushi, make sure all the ingredients are ready - cucumber and salmon sliced into thin strips.

Firstly, place the nori, shiny side down, on the bamboo mat. Cover evenly with sushi rice - I use a wet plastic spatula, as then the rice doesn't stick to anything. Be careful not to tear the nori. Then sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds / wasabi and sesame spice mix. Take a piece of cling film and place it on the sushi rice, as then the rice won't get stuck to the bamboo mat when making the inside out (ISO) roll.

Turn the nori sheet around and place the ingredients - salmon, cucumber and Philadelphia - in the middle of the sheet and roll it up. Make sure that the roll is nicely tight. Use a very sharp and wet knife to cut the roll into 2-3 cm pieces. Place on a plate and serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi. I served it with some grated cucumber as the wasabi was already in the sushi and I did not need pickled ginger to clear my palate.





No comments:

Post a Comment