26 May 2012

Turkey & mustard sandwich

Usually when I'm longing for a quick lunch or a snack I try to think of new and interesting (and not always the fastest) ideas. However, this time I had reached a point when I just wanted something simple and therefore I opted for a nice open sandwich. I am a big fan of open sandwiches as they have less bread and to be honest I even didn't know that 'real' sandwiches were with two slices of bread. Over the years I've began having rye or wholegrain bread instead of white bread, which means that my sandwiches have become a lot healthier. I had bought some really nice roast turkey from Whole Foods deli counter (absolutely heavenly), so decided to make my sandwich with that. To spice it up a bit I added some mustard and to keep the sandwich nice and moist I used some spinach, cucumber and tomato. But, long story short, this sandwich was exactly what I needed - simple, tasty, healthy and quick to make. This makes a perfect snack or a nice lunch bite, which can be easily taken into work or university.


Ingredients
(Makes 2 slices)
- 1 slice of Biona rye bread, halved
- 2 slices of turkey ham (or roast turkey)
- 20g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices of cucumber
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- Bit of butter
- Freshly ground pepper

Directions
First cut the bread into half and toast it.  Then spread a very thin layer of butter on the slices. Divide the baby spinach leaves between the bread slices, top each with turkey and spread a teaspoon of mustard on each. Place two slices of cucumber and tomato on each and top it off with some freshly ground pepper.




No comments:

Post a Comment