23 May 2012

Mustard & honey chicken salad

It is amazing how over the time my taste has changed. 10 years ago I refused to eat rice and now I probably have it more often than potatoes. The same story goes in regards various other foods as well. But what I was the most surprised about was that the two foods that I absolutely hated - honey and mustard - were the ones I learnt to like out of the blue. I'm pretty sure that if I would have had a choice, I would have eaten anything so long as I would not have had to eat honey or mustard. However, keeping in mind the fact that taste develops and changes (a very good comparison can be drawn with wine - I started off with sweet, but now I find to too sweet), I decided to give mustard and honey a go. I remember that the first time I tried it out I was so sceptical - I even had a back-up dinner plan. However, when I tried the chicken I was swept off my feet - it tasted soooo good. So, thanks to that little experience I discovered something new that I like and and this means that I have the possibility of trying out various dishes and recipes that I previously couldn't, because I couldn't stand the taste of honey or mustard. Right now, I can't even remember when was the last time I had chicken and it was without mustard and honey marinade!

This time diced up the chicken and used it in a salad (I'm trying to make salads less boring and monotone), but it is also one of my favourite ways to cook chicken breasts these days. The combination of mustard and honey is a match made in heaven - I even don't use salt as it is so flavourful already - and the coating keeps the chicken nice and juicy. And, as usual, trying to keep on the healthy side I topped the salad off with some pomegranate seeds - their sweetness adds to the combination of different flavours and they are packed with antioxidants. The result - tasty, juicy and healthy salad!


Ingredients
(Serves 1)
- 140g chicken breast fillet, cubed
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 70g leafy salads (for example spinach, rocket, watercress)
- 3tbsp pomegranate seeds

Directions
Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes and place in a bowl. Pour over the honey and mustard and mix well and let it stand for at least 15 minutes (I usually prepare the chicken in the morning and let it marinate until I need it later on during the day). Heat a a tiny bit of oil in the pan and fry the chicken until cooked.

Place the salad on a plate, top with chicken and sprinkle everything with pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment