1 May 2012

Honeyed carrot soup

After making this soup to two of my best friends and getting them hooked, I decided that I should share this fabulous recipe with a lot more people. It is incredibly easy to make - I sometimes cheat a bit and get ready cubed carrots to reduce the preparation time - and the result is gorgeous. The ingredients go together very well and the hint of chilli is what gives the final touch to the soup. I usually make a big batch, divide it up and freeze it, so whenever I am short of time or want to have soup for dinner I have some stacked away in the freezer. Also, carrots are high in vitamin A (amongst other good things), which is good for your eyes and therefore having a bowl of carrot soup every now and then makes me feel that I make up for all the time spent looking at the computer screen - an inevitable part of being a student.

This time I served the soup with a sprinkle of grated parmesan and Italian grissini, but it could also be served with croutons, toast or a drizzle of sour cream or yogurt. To be honest, most of the times I've had the soup I have just had it on its own - it is just sooo good that it actually does not need anything on its side.

Ingredients
(Serves 6)
- 800g carrots, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2.5l vegetable stock
- sprinkle of chilli powder / flakes

Directions
Heat the butter in a big saucepan. Add the leeks to the pan and cook for around 3 minutes. Then add the carrots, bay leaf, chilli (do not over do it) and stir in the honey and cook for another 2 minutes.

Pour in the stock and bring to boil. Then turn down the heat and let it simmer for around 30 minutes. Blend the soup either in blender (or use a handheld blender and do it in the saucepan), return the soup to the saucepan and bring back to simmer.

Divide the soup up between bowls. Garnish with grissini and sprinkle over with parmesan and serve immediately.

When you want to freeze the soup for later, let it cool in the pot, divide it up between storage boxes / bags and let it cool completely before putting it into freezer.

Recipe from BBC Good Food




No comments:

Post a Comment